Atomic 4 refit
New photos are added, the July 4th weekend I started wire wheel grinding, it is coming off great. There was a fairly thick paint on the engine.
I am absolutely convinced the oil leak was in the rear seal, that is the only place wet with oil all around. The new seals will fix this.
In the photos you will see I have had the starter and alternator rebuilt, and purchased a new alternator (not sure why, spare I guess). The new parts and gaskets from Moyer are in, and I have decided to install the new carb I purchased a few months ago.
After a lot of thought, I ordered a POR-15 engine paint kit, with white enamel, hope it turns out.
I need to get some paper coveralls and a shop vac for next trip home, when I hope to finish the wire wheel grinding, small wire brushing, and give the engine the base coat of POR cleaner degreaser.
I was out walking around the marina yesterday, sure do miss it. Oh well, it won’t be long now………………..
S/V “Pot ‘O’ Gold”
Today, June 15, 2010, almost a year to the day our trip finished, I pulled the engine out of the boat, and am beginning to take her apart, clean her up, paint her, and replace her.
I removed all the wires from the engine, tagging each one with a label, and taking pictures of where the wire came from. Any parts (bolts, nuts, shims, etc) are put in a baggie, and labeled.
I have removed the starter for rebuild, the alternator is being stubborn, the carb and water pump are removed.
The engine is bolted to a board across two sawhorses, and will remain there while I remove everything, clean the inside, sand and paint, and replace all parts, including a new carb, purchased just for this job.
The engine room can now be washed, painted and cleaned. I was extremely pleased that the bed for the engine (wood) is still solid and not rotted at all, as were the bolts holding the engine in place. After 40 years, that was great news!!
I will take pictures, and talk about this refit as it happens.